Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Does this purse make my butt look big?


This is a special edition of "Bring in the Professional." As a favor to me, my sister Lori, a wardrobe consultant, has agreed to write a quarterly advice column for my blogs. Each season we get her "do"s and "how to"s for fashion. She has written a special article about purses. Here is her advice.



Does This Purse Make My Butt Look Big?


Believe it or not, this question has merit for all of us. The size of your girth and stature dictates the size of purse you should carry. If you are petite in stature and frame, meaning around five feet tall and wear a size 2 or less, do not overwhelm yourself with an oversized bag. The width of a shoulder bag for example, should not extend past the width of your body. The length of the bag should never extend past your waist. Conversely, if you are curvy plus size gal, carry a purse that is in proportion to your figure. Formal wear clutches and wristlets for a quick run to the outlet mall excluded, choose a bag that is as least as wide as you are thick. Carrying a dainty purse on your shoulder emphasizes a full upper arm and makes you look bigger than you are.


When shopping for a purse, Along with function find a purse that complements your body frame. Try on the purse. Why do you think retailers put mirrors in the purse department? Since shoulder bags are so popular, I will use this style as an example. Hang the purse on your shoulder and turn sideways in the mirror. Make sure the length of the purse straps do not allow the bottom of the purse to stop at the thickest part of your body. If the widest part of your body is your hips, makes sure the purse ends at your waist, the smallest part of your body.


How many purses should a woman own? That depends on you and your passion for purses. Since I also emphasize organization with my clients, I suggest keeping your collection to a minimum. Excessive amounts of purses that you do not use add clutter to your closet. For starters I urge my clients own a black purse, brown purse and cream or bone colored purse. Fabric and style is up to you.


Finally, do you have a passion for designer purses but pale at the prices? Check out Bag Borrow or Steal. http://www.bagborroworsteal.com/ It is a website that rents the latest in designer bags. Customers can rent purses as long as they want or buy gently used purses from the outlet at a discount.


I’d love to hear from you! How many purses do you own? Describe your favorite purse. Do you have questions for me? Post your questions here and I will answer. Keep checking back for updates.


Your Loving Fashionista

13 comments:

  1. I just have 2 purses. A formal black one and and a casual brown one. I don't think I could handle anymore than that! LOL! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...sure the purse ends at your waist, the smallest part of your body. Bestest advise ever.

    I have 9 purses, but I mostly use only 2 becuase they have the perfect amount of comparments.

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the plaid hobo bag and the teensy black purse. My mom's always giving me purses and I always end up giving them to DI. I can't handle that much responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh,i love my purses and bags. i'm not very good about keeping them to a minimum, though. paul always gets on my case when i lose something. he says, "check all your purses, it's probably in one of them." thanks for the good advice, sister-to-annie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice. I love purses, but I don't think I've ever looked in the mirror while holding one. (I'd have to have the purse stop at my boobs--the smallest part of my body!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL at Yvonne's comment! :D

    Thank you so much for the wonderful advice! I am a stranger to the ways of the fashionable purse, so I had no idea about any of this! This is pathetic, but I only own one black shoulder bag...and a hideous fanny pack that I wear on Disneyland trips, much to the dismay of my very fashion-conscious daughter, haha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I carry a big bag because I'm a big woman. Besides, you need something large to sneak all your sodas and candy for your many, many children into the movie theater.

    You've seen my poodle bag and I also have a really fancy 'la-di-frickin-da' bag that Papi bought me for christmas last year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Elastic where did Papi get your
    fancy 'la-di-frickin-da' bag. I'm gonna have to get me one of those.
    Just curious is there a picture of Matt Foley on it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes it makes your butt look big!!

    Since graduating from diaper bags, I have yet to find that purse that is just right for me. So right off hand I have 2, the rest my girls have taken. Since I am not using them they think they should be breaking them in. At this point I carry this little black hand bag. That looks like something my teenage daughter should carry.She picked it out so proudly for me. So now after reading your post I am thinking...Santa all I want for christmas is nice purse that fits Me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when I get the rules right. I have one purse I use all the time (SHAME SHAME) but it is a great oxblood red, and it is as wide as I am. Let's just say it has room for a lot more than a wallet, phone and lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this great advice. I love learning something new. I only have one purse right now and it is wearing out. Now I know just what to look for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have only 2. Both floral. But black is not a happenin' color in Hawaii, so if I buy another, I'll go with red.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like a woman that carries a big bag with lots of compartments so she can carry a few extras that I can't fit into my trim tri-fold black leather billfold. Like what extras you say?.......EXTRA
    Nasal spray,toothpicks,combs,gps,camera, batteries,maps,keys,video cam, plane tickets, etc.....

    ReplyDelete

I see you sitting there. Leave a comment.