Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Getting it done... with a little help



Have you ever had a task to complete, but you just couldn't bring yourself to do it? You have the time, you have the energy,but the more you look at it, the more insurmountable the task becomes. That was me with the Christmas decorations.

I sent the kids back to school a week ago. I cleaned, I shopped, I did laundry, I even signed up for college, but I didn't take a single ornament off the Florentine-style Christmas tree. It occurred to me that this was more than a time issue. I needed help. Mental help. I needed someone to come in and help give me a jump start on the de-decorating. So, I called the best, most kind, and free mental health advocates I know: Mom and Dad.

I invited them over at 2 pm, so I needed to get prepared. I knew that with the purchase of new decorations, I would also need something to put them in. A quick trip to the local Family Dollar produced four new 30 gallon sized containers. With containers on hand, a plan in place, and help on the way, I felt energized and hopeful that this task, along with it's mental hold on me, would soon be packed up and in the garage.

I gave Mom and Dad the toughest job, the one I dreaded the most; taking down the seven-foot tree. When I wasn't micro-managing the placement of each ornament back in the same box it came in, I busied myself with the other de-decorating tasks. I'm happy to report, we made short order of it. Christmas taken down, boxed up, and in the garage in less than two hours. I have hand it to Mom and Dad, they work fast and didn't even mind my neuroticism.

They know who they raised.

17 comments:

  1. We need to take our tree down too. But at least its just a tiny fake tree and won't take too long to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) YAY! Way to go mom and dad and Annie :)
    You're one busy girl.
    I have my Christmas decoration put away the same way. I also made labels for the boxes so I know what's inside. Great gorgeous minds do think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH for Mom and Dad! I love that you gave them the hardest job. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Canyour parents come to my house? I have 30 women coming over for an Enrichment Activity tomorrow night, and narry an empty wall of decorations. LOVE the new background, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rent my parents out for cheap.

    I like the new look, too. I think it's cleaner, yet funkier. I can't tell you how many backgrounds I go through until I find something I like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny! I love it when unpleasant tasks and our parents are a perfect match. Our old dog had poopy issues and my mother asked if there was (ahem) anything dry stuck to his fur, back there yonder. "I can cut that off for you," she offered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love the new look, it's so sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you're commenting as me earlier in the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr. The Bee Gees makes me feel so special for me, and I like him so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great parents you have! Not just your mom helped but your dad too?! I'm pretty sure my dad would say No Way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mine are still up. The tree, too. Still fresh though!

    Maybe this weekend.

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  13. So that's the secret! I should try this next year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, your new background matches your apron! Was that planned?

    ReplyDelete
  15. My parents are too old to help me with the big de-decorating...my hubby and I actually help them with theirs, meaning we do it. (Gladly!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still have my Christmas trees up in my room. I love the light they give off. I still turn them on sometimes in the evenings.
    BTW I love the background on your page right now. I haven't been around in a while, but I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cheap are you talkin' there Paynie (to rent your parents out)? ;)

    I know I wanted to leave my tree up until February, but it is driving me nuts.

    ReplyDelete

I see you sitting there. Leave a comment.