Saturday, March 27, 2010

I never get tired of being right.


I awoke this morning with the urge to take my family on a hike; back to one of our favorite trails that has gone neglected during the cold winter months. It was not easy convincing my kids to leave the comfort of their pajamas, overflowing bowls of cereal, and tight schedule of cartoons and video games, for a morning of fresh air and physical exertion. I explained to them that we needed to go now, while the snow is melting. There would be a stream of run-off flowing right down the middle of our trail and they would love to see it. Unmoved by my glowing endorsement, I finally said,
"Listen, I do a lot of stuff for you that I don't want to do, so you are going to do this for me even though you don't want to. That's how we show our love for each other," delivered with "crazy mom" eyes and flared nostrils, it could not be challenged nor denied.
Mere minutes later as we are reaching the top of the hike, the boys could hear the water running. They were so excited they started running. "Mom, Mom can you hear that?! It's the water, Mom." Yes, babies, I know.
As you can see from the pics, a good time was had by all. I never get tired of being right.

8 comments:

  1. Wishing I could've tagged along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks/sounds fun! I need to get ym kids out in the wild again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom's are always right........except when they say that Luxembourg is a city in Germany and it's actually a sovereign country now. True story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must have been a beautiful hike.

    (I miss having those kinds of discussions with my kids--you sound like another mom I'm VERY FAMILIAR with ; ) And she never tires of being right either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the weather has been nice enough to be out side. Beautiful hike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can hear our mom's voice coming out of your mouth. Funny, how I hear it out of my own too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who insists on making my kids enjoy nature. What a fun hike you had. I love the pics. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "..."crazy mom" eyes and flared nostrils" -->I believe this part is pure work of fiction. My Annie can't make crazy eyes nor can she flare her soft baby like nostrils.

    That momma is always right.

    ReplyDelete

I see you sitting there. Leave a comment.